The new logo for the Brooklyn Nets had all the right ideas going for it but I felt that the final design really lacked in execution, almost looking as if it were unfinished. I’ve been reading various design blogs and forums and the general response from the design community is underwhelming. Bobby Solomon of The Fox Is Black put it perfectly in this write up earlier this week.
So, along with all the other designers out there having a go (this one from a while back is wicked), here are two ‘tweaked’ versions of the new logo I did just for fun. A little bit of consideration regarding the scale of things and their spacing within the shield gives everything a bit more room to breath. The top arc of the shield has been straightened out producing a stronger shape. ‘Brooklyn’ has been incorporated into the top of the shield above ‘Nets’ so that it now makes sense when you read it. And for the word ‘Nets’ I decided to go with a font reminiscent of an earlier Nets design from the 70s to keep ties with its roots.
As you can see it’s not that much different from the actual design, but a few changes here and there can radically change the look and feel of the final product.
Now that that’s all said and done I wanna wish the new team in Brooklyn all the best and fingers crossed you guys get Dwight Howard!!